It is my 40th birthday this Saturday.
I will be in Disneyland with my family. As George Bernard Shaw said: “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”
Long after I booked the trip, I went to Pinterest and saw that I had a board called VisionBoard from 3 years ago.
One of the photos on the board was that of Disneyland Paris. I am always surprised when I create something that I envisioned in the past and then forgot about:-)
If designing a life vision is something you are interested in, my 6-week coaching program VisionPath starts on 5th June!
The program’s objective is to clarify what you want in your life, business and career. This is the only time I will run this program in 2023.
To mark my big O birthday, I thought I would share with you 40 life lessons from my 40 years. Let’s go!
- Do not resist reality. Accept it, change it or move on.
- Do not cling to a good experience. Just enjoy the moment without worrying about its transient nature.
- When you feel bad, do not trust your thinking.
- Uncomfortable emotions are not the enemy. They are the warning mechanism that we are misusing our thinking. Just like physical pain alerts us that something is wrong in our body.
- We are not afraid of the future. We are fearful of reliving a painful feeling from our past. Cleaning up stored pain sets us free.
- The ultimate freedom is the ability not to think when you don’t want to.
- Telling the truth is always easier in the long run, and being yourself pays more.
- People are doing the best they can.
- When you talk to people’s wise, loving, happy selves, those selves show up.
- Listening is often a better gift than advice.
- Pursuing ego-driven goals is a waste of time. (My TEDx topic).
- Vision is one of the coolest tools I know to create the life you want.
- That said, if your vision gets antiquated, it can become a trap. Be more committed to being in flow than to any old vision.
- Spaciousness allows you to access the creative force. It is a fun place.
- Let go of the need to feel right, wronged or superior.
- Busyness is laziness. 20% of your efforts will yield 80% of your results. Identify this 20%.
- Health, love, work and play are interlinked like communicating vessels. You cannot reach a higher level of success in any one area than in the rest. Just like the water cannot reach a higher level in one vessel than in the other communicating vessels. This has been one of my most controversial breakthroughs, but once you see it, you cannot unsee it.
- You cannot love others more than you love yourself.
- All there is, is now.
- The easiest way I have found to stay in the now is to travel.
- You can deal with what is in front of you right now. You are not very good at dealing now with what may happen in the future.
- You choose your environment; your environment shapes your thinking, and your thinking creates your experience. Choose your environment wisely.
- This, too, shall pass.
- Life feels easy when you are creating your own path. It feels hard when you are trying to follow someone else’s steps.
- Your food affects your mood. Balance your blood sugar.
- Sleep and move your body. You will be happier.
- What you appreciate, appreciates.
- Ageing is the aggressive pursuit of comfort. Keep learning, playing and expanding your comfort zone.
- Our true nature is happiness. Babies are happy when their physical needs are met.
- Success is often an exercise in subtraction rather than addition.
- Become so good they can’t ignore you. Follow what you enjoy doing and give it love, time and attention.
- The lonely genius is a myth; you can achieve a lot more by collaborating with others.
- When you feel a strong, consistent pull to do something for the sake of it, do it.
- If you are having fun with what you are doing, there is no way to lose.
- Be the change you want to see. Especially in your relationships.
- Book the celebration before you hit the milestone. Enjoy.
- Everything you spend from a place of alignment makes you richer – Melanie Ann Layer.
- The best investment is in yourself.
- You often need to say no to something good to make space for something better.
- “You are already a completely whole, perfect person… The only thing that can keep you from enjoying all that you already are is a thought. One thought, your thought. Not someone else’s thought. Your thought.” Mavis Karn
OK, as always, hit reply and let me know which resonated.